7 sentences with 'captive'
Example sentences and phrases with the word captive and other words derived from it.
• « We get down on all fours to observe the captive animal, which begins to bellow. »
• « Many of these sultans sought recognition from the captive caliphs as a form of spiritual and political currency, but the end result is that the caliphs themselves exercised no political authority of their own. »
• « A striking example is Belgium, where only women who were widowed, lost children or were held captive during the war were initially granted the vote. »
• « Hal Markowitz, a biologist at the University of San Francisco, USA, has an unusual occupation: combating "boredom" in captive animals. »
• « "Unable to guide their own lives - eating, hunting, mating freely - captive monkeys tend to develop abnormal behaviour, with attitudes that on the whole can be compared to those of humans in confinement: a feeling of futility, in which nothing they do really matters," says the scientist. »
• « "So, what news do you have, paisano? -None," he replied. -But, man," I added, astonished, "don't you know that the Paraguayans have invaded the Province of Corrientes with forty thousand men; that they have seized some steamers from us, that they have robbed, set fire to and taken many families captive? In reply he exclaimed, with the customary tune: "It's a good thing they won't get here! »